Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Blogtember - I don't go straight, I move forward.

I'm so glad the Story of My Life blog is doing Blogtember! I liked doing Blog Everyday in May and this month I'm really not feeling inspired to post a lot so far. I'm too tired to do any projects and when I get around to it I forget to take pictures or I just don't have the energy. I need someone to tell me what to write about so I don't have to think too hard!

Tuesday, September 10: Describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn.

There have been SO many times when my life has taken a turn I don't know where to start. Should it be when I came out of the closet in high school? When I left for college? Joined a sorority? Left the sorority? Got into a relationship with an alcoholic? When I got OUT of the relationship with an alcoholic? When I joined the military? When I came out of the closet again? Got married? Got pregnant? 

I'm sure an obvious one would be meeting my husband. But that doesn't really seem like a "turn." It's not like I was going in one direction, met him and then moved in another. Well... I'm sure there is a gay joke in there somewhere. But really, it just seems like we were both going in the same direction and just met up along the way, no turning involved.

I guess I'll just go with my first big turn in life, which was coming out at the age of 15. So, it is a little difficult to not automatically start defending myself, since I am clearly married to male. But honestly, if you don't understand that or are confused by it, just leave now. People are people and you don't choose who you love. If that isn't something you understand then you should probably take a long hard look at yourself and how you interperet your own emotions. 

Not to get off track though! My point was that coming out really changed everything for me. I finally got to surround myself with people who understood things! People who actively cared about racism, sexism and homophobia. People who believe everyone is equal and should be treated with respect. It really paved the way for my move to San Francisco and the life I would have there. I learned that the most interesting people are the ones who are different, and that following the crowd doesn't always lead to happiness.

In case you are wondering, coming out the second time was easy-peasy. I had already gotten over the whole, "what will they think of me?" garbage after coming out the first time, so I really couldn't give a hoot what anyone thought. I pretty much just said, labels are lame. I like everyone. Heck, my latest celebrity crush is a drag queen named Raja from RuPauls Drag Race.
Do I like him as a male? Or as a woman in drag?
Don't even care.
I don't need to dissect it or try to figure out "why." 
I mean, why not? 

The title of this post is a little euphemism that my friend from San Francisco would always make while taking driving directions. He would say, "We never go straight, we only go forward!" 
I feel like that has a double meaning to me now, besides being a silly jab at straight people. I didn't "go straight" I just  kept going forward and let life happen without putting myself in a box.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...