Monday, July 22, 2013

Blueberry Chutney

When I was younger I remember my grandmother always making chutney and setting it on the table for every meal. I never really knew what it was and I think I probably didn't like it at that time. About a year ago I decided I wanted to figure out what it was for, what to eat it with and how to make it. I found out it is an Indian condiment that can be made from fruits, berries, onions or even cilantro (which is delicious!!) I made an apricot chutney which tasted amazing... but I haven't made any since!
Fast forward to today, when the massive amount of blueberries we bought at the beginning of the week started to go mushy and I knew it was time to use them up. I made (another) batch of blueberry muffins and cooked up some blueberry chutney.

Blueberry chutney recipe


I took the recipe from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian and changed it around a bit to fit what I actually had in my pantry. I'm positive that there are more authentic recipes out there, but this should be a pretty good introduction to chutneys if you have never had any before. It's like a jam with a spicy kick.

Ingredients:
2 Cups fresh blueberries
1/2 Cup dried cherries
1/2 Cup lime juice
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cloves
2 Tbsp brown sugar

Combine everything in a saucepan and turn onto high until it comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.

Blueberry chutney recipe

Blueberry chutney recipe

It will end up looking very juicy like this:

Blueberry chutney recipe

Blueberry chutney recipe

The great thing about chutney is that it's easy to make and just a little bit spicy. Joe and I had it on crackers with goat cheese for lunch and then for dinner we had it with a coconut shrimp curry. You can use it on anything from yogurt to ice cream, crepes, cold meats and as a sauce for samosas too.


2 comments:

Crafts a la Mode said...

Wow. I may have to make that. I'm on a blueberry kick right now. So I am featuring you for this and pinning also. Thanks for linking over at What to do Weekends, too. New linky open tonight. Linda

www.craftsalamode.com

Sarah Grace said...

Thank you so much!

Post a Comment

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...